An Electronic Magazine of Analytical Philosophy
Copyright Notice and Legal Disclaimer
© 1996, 2004, 2005 The SORITES Team
- (01) SORITES is not in the public domain. It is the intellectual property of the SORITES team. In accordance with Spanish and international Law, all issues of SORITES are Copyright-protected throughout the Planet.
- (02) Each issue of SORITES taken as a whole belongs to the electronic publisher, namely the SORITES team.
- (03) However, the individual papers published in SORITES remain the intellectual property of their respective authors, with only these two restrictions:
- No part of any such paper may be printed or displayed elsewhere, or incorporated into a publication of any sort, unless SORITES is therein clearly and explicitly mentioned as the primary source; and
- The authors agree to be bound by the other terms and provisions contained in this Copyright Notice, esp. to grant readers the entitlements warranted by clauses (06), (08), (09), (19), and (20), and to abide by the electronic publisher's claims and commitments set forth in clauses (14) and (15).
- (04) The authors of the included papers and the electronic publisher, the SORITES team -- whether jointly or separately, as the case may be -- hereby reserve all rights not expressly granted to other parts in this Copyright Notice.
- (05) In compliance with Spanish Law, issues of SORITES are legally registered, three diskette-copies being deposited with the competent authorities, namely the «Deposito Legal» office of the Autonomous Community of Madrid, c/ Azcona 42. (Legal Deposit Registration: M 14867-1995.)
- (06) A license is hereby granted without fee for anybody to freely make as many unmodified copies as they wish of any issue of SORITES in its integrity, give such copies to anyone, and distribute any issue of SORITES via electronic means or as printed copies, provided no part thereof is altered or omitted, and especially neither this Copyright Notice nor any of the copyright boxes on top of the papers is removed, amended, or obscured.
- (07) In this context, the issue of SORITES as a whole is meant to consist in: either
- (i) a single file (be it its official version as a WordPerfect 5.1 document or any unofficial version released by the SORITES team as an undivided file); or
- (ii) a collection of files produced by slicing one of the entire-file versions in order to facilitate handling, browsing or downloading. In the latter case, the conveyor is bound to distribute the whole collection. (In this context printed copies of any issue of SORITES are taken to be equivalent to electronic copies, their distribution being subject to the same conditions.)
- (08) No issue of SORITES may be sold for profit or incorporated into any commercial material without the previous explicit consent granted by the SORITES team. Otherwise, no fee may be charged for its circulation. An exception is granted to non-profit organizations, which are hereby authorized to charge a small fee for materials, handling, postage, and general overhead.
- (09) Private copying of single papers by any lawful means is allowed when done in good faith and for a fair use, namely for purposes of teaching, study, criticism or review.
- [i] No copy or partial copy of a detached paper may be publicly distributed or circulated without its author's acquiescence.
- [ii] The SORITES team hereby allows any such distribution, subject to the author's consent, provided the copyright box on top of the paper is literally incorporated into the distributed copy or partial copy.
- [iii] The phrase `copy or partial copy' covers any print-out, extended quotation, electronic posting or display as well as any other reproduction.
- [i] No part of any issue of SORITES may be delivered to a plurality of individuals -- whether in writing or by any other means -- unless the source is clearly and explicitly acknowledged.
- [ii] In particular, no part of any issue of SORITES or of any paper therein included may be conveyed to others by means of reproduction, quotation, copy or paraphrase, without a clear and explicit acknowledgement of the issue of SORITES, the author's name and the paper's full title.
- [iii] Whenever the quotation occurs within a publication, it is also mandatory to mention the date of publication and the official pages (as shown within the Copyright box on top of the paper), as well as the ISSN (1135-1349) and the official website: http://www.sorites.org.
- (12) Any use of copies or partial copies of any issue of SORITES, or of papers therein included, not explicitly permitted in this Notice, will be a violation of the authors' and the electronic publisher's intellectual property; perpetration of, or complicity with, any such violation will be regarded as forgery or plagiarism -- which, besides being, in any case a civil tort, may be a crime under current legislation.
- (13)Every issue of SORITES is provided «as is», without any guarantee of any kind. The electronic publisher, the SORITES team, disclaims all warranties, whether expressed or implied, including, without limitation, the assurance that papers or any other publicly supplied material is free of defects or non-infringing or fit for any particular purpose. By furnishing those documents, the SORITES team does not grant any license or endorses any commitment except in so much as explicitly set forth in the present Copyright Notice.
- (14) The electronic publisher, the SORITES team, does not necessarily agree with the authors' views or arguments. The electronic publisher cannot certify the accuracy of any quotations or references contained in the papers.
- (15) Each author vouches alone for the originality of the papers they submit to SORITES and for their compliance with established Copyright laws. Acceptance of a manuscript is done in good faith under the assumption the originality claim is truthful. The electronic publisher -- i.e. the SORITES team -- does not pledge itself for the accuracy of such declarations.
- (16) Under no circumstances and under no legal theory, whether tort (including negligence), contract or otherwise, shall the SORITES team or any contributor or supplier of SORITES be liable to any person for any indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages for loss of good will, mistaken belief, confusion, delusion or any and all other damages or losses suffered as a result of downloading, reading, using, quoting or circulating any materials included in any issue of SORITES. The user assumes, at their own risk, full responsibility for the proper use of issues of SORITES.
- [i] Downloading, reading or in any other way using any issue of SORITES or any part thereof entails full acceptance of the hereinabove stated terms and provisions. Nonacceptance of any of those terms and provisions entails automatic termination of all rights derived from this Notice.
- [ii] If, after downloading a file containing an issue of SORITES or a part thereof, or receiving an electronic or printed copy thereof, a user fails to agree to the conditions stipulated in this Notice, they must discontinue using the material and irrecoverably erase or destroy the file or document, so as not to occasion any third-part's unfair use thereof.
- [iii] In the event of such a termination, though, third-party rights derived from usage prior to the termination will survive.
- (18) Although, thanks to a permission kindly granted by the system's administrators, SORITES is displayed at the internet host <www.ifs.csic.es/sorites/> belonging to the Spanish research institution CSIC, the magazine is not sponsored or endorsed by the CSIC, the only owner and publisher being the SORITES team, under the auspices of no academic establishment.
- (19) A specific license is hereby granted for any issue of SORITES to be freely mirrored at any website, provided all conditions stated above are fully adheared to. No previous approval of the SORITES team is required for such a display.
- [i] Subject to the restrictions contained in the foregoing clauses, any reader of SORITES is granted a royalty-fee non-exclusive right to access, view, read, download, duplicate, store or print any issue of SORITES, any paper therein included, and any other file or document displayed or supplied at the SORITES site.
- [ii] In this connection a reader of SORITES is an individual who, complying with all the terms laid down in this Notice, accesses the SORITES site, or a mirror thereof, or uses any file or document directly or indirectly obtained from that site.
- [iii] That right is contingent upon third-party intellectual-property claims.
- [iv] That right is conditional on the reader's full acceptance of all terms and conditions set forward in this Notice.
- [v] Any breach of one of those terms and conditions automatically nullifies the right granted under this clause.
Madrid. April 10, 1995
(Updated: December 31, 1996; April 27 1998; October 3, 2002; December 31, 2004; January 18, 2005)
The SORITES Team